Thursday, January 29, 2009

Being not Doing

So last night I heard something I thought was really great. "God is more concerned with our being than our doing." This is in the context of glorifying God. 1 Cor 6:19-20 says "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore, glorify God in your body."

Sometimes it is hard to figure out what the best thing to do is. We are limited creatures, and we have limited resources. We must decide the best way to use what we have. Should I give my money to help the homeless, buy my kid a new toy, support missions? These are tough issues, but what is really important is where your heart is. Don't be concerned so much with what to do, but why you do it. When you go to work, it is to glorify God, but I reason that I go to work to get money. What I do at work is greatly affected by why I think I'm there. It is true in other areas. The internal heart issues effect what you do externally. So if I can internally focus on glorifying God and loving Him and my neighbor, then I will make the right decisions.

No comments: