Thursday, January 8, 2009

Time to really go for it

Julie and i got the privileged of being able to be in Discipleship for Leadership. It is a special group at church that will meet once a week for 20 or more weeks. We are very excited. To get in the group your mini-church leader has to recommend you, the elders have to approve you, and all the mini-church leaders get to comment too. So it is pretty exciting to be in it now.

Before we went to the orientation last night we weren't really sure we were ready to do this. It is a big commitment. If you can't make a meeting they try to reschedule it so everyone can be there. You have memory verses to do, and a pretty big assignment (recommend 30 minutes a day). All of this doesn't sound so bad, but we were late to the first meeting. When we got to church we knew Katie was stinky so we went to change her, but she had a blowout. Some was even in the car seat.... So very nasty.

Well, after going to the orientation we got fired up and want to do this. We are very excited. Now we just pray for focus and endurance. We want to be hot for God, and no longer satisfied with par. The standards we have currently been living with are too low, it is time to learn and live by God's standards.

First task: make 35 observations about what a disciple is, does, the cost, etc, based on Luke 9:23-24. Don't you dare share any observations in the comments, I have to do this myself. I should be done with it tomorrow, so you can share then.

Also, memorize Luke 9:23-24 which isn't that hard, because I used to have it memorized, so it comes back quickly.

Discipleship
Luke 9:23-24
And He said to them all, "If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily, and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake, he is the one who will save it."
Luke 9:23-24

That was my version, let's see how I did.
And He was saying to them all, ---not too bad, present tense and I used past
"If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow me. -----need a comma after himself, and no comma after daily
For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it." -----pretty good, forgot to capitalize My

Overall I think I did well. I would encourage anyone reading this to start memorizing scripture, it is actually pretty fun. Now if you really want a challenge, you can also make 35 observations about discipleship on the passage.

No comments: