Monday, January 12, 2009

Bike commuting update

Rode to work today. It has been a long time, so it was hard to get up and out so early. Left the house just after 7:00, arrived at work about 7:40. The temperature was about 40 degrees, started at 39, then ended at 41. It was dark for all but the last mile when it was gray.

Clothing:
feet: Polly-pro socks, regular socks, NB tennis shoes - comfortable
legs: new cycling base layer, wind breaker pants with insulation - comfy
torso: long sleeve wicking shirt, yellow long sleeve fleece - comfy
hands: new polar tec gloves - cold
head: borrowed balaclava pulled down to chin, glasses; tried goggles, but that fogged glasses, could have tried goggles no glasses. wind made eyes water, otherwise comfy

4 comments:

Ben said...

Man, that's a cold commute. 40 min??? I thought you were only 4 miles away?

Angie said...

so how'd it go? were you cold?

Risan said...

Ben:
I stopped several times. I started out without the face mask and that was really cold, so I stopped before leaving the neighborhood, dug through my backpack and put it on. Later on I stopped to try and add some gloves which took a lot of time too. It is only 5miles and shouldn't have taken that long.

Angie:
I was cold without the balaclava, but after that it was just my hands. They were numb at the end of the ride.

Angie said...

No, I did not know that. Dang it. Thanks for the info.