Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Commute Update

A beautiful morning today. Rode in this morning with a slight head wind, which dropped my speed some. I've been improving a lot. Before my average speed was around 16mph, this morning with the head wind I had 17.4mph. I can usually average 18-19mph now.

So on the way to work this morning I was thinking, should my goal be to get faster and use my commute for training, or to take it easy and enjoy the ride. I decided it should be both. I don't want to arrive at work really hot and needing several minutes to cool down, but at the same time I like getting faster. So I can push some, just not much. I think this is pretty good. I enjoy my commute, and it is only 5 minutes slower than the car. For those unaware, my commute is only 5 miles.

Also, Happy Birthday to my brother. Hope the Lord has given you peace on what activity to pursue.

4 comments:

Ben said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes. The Lord always gives me peace in my hobbies, I'm just glad I still have drive to pursue extra-curriculars.

Commute sounds good. You could take it a little easy in the mornings and push harder on the way home. With the heat, you'll sweat anyway. Other idea, is maybe wear a heart rate monitor to check your effort and adjust your speed based on a target heart rate.

Risan said...

I thought about a heart rate monitor, but didn't want to add something to the trip. I like to keep things simple. But it is an idea to bring it with me and then put it on for the return trip. I'm not in too much of a hurry to leave work because traffic is terrible, but the earlier I leave home the better the traffic.

Angie said...

what is that picture?!?! that's hilarious!

Risan said...

I'm pretty sure it is a bike mower. I found the pic somehow and laughed pretty hard.