Thursday, August 21, 2008

Get organized Part 1: Overview

I'm going to try something different, because this is something I'm wanting to do. I want to get organized, especially with only a month before a new baby arrives. So for now I plan to use this blog to help get my thoughts together on how to proceed.

I plan to do 5 parts for this thought.
Part 1: Overview - laying out the framework
Part 2: Your Stuff - what to do with the stuff that you get the final say in
Part 3: Other's Stuff - what to do with the stuff you don't get the final say in
Part 4: Dependent's Stuff - how to handle the stuff of someone who can't handle it
Part 5: Common Areas - How to handle common areas like the living room

I'm just starting this and not sure how to proceed exactly, but I think this is a decent framework to start with. I'll probably be using links to other places, and maybe I'll get Julie's input too, that would be cool.

Some basic ideas that should apply to all categories.
Start with one room and stick with that room till it is done.
Evaluate all items, if not used at least once in two years get rid of it.
When evaluating an item it is either keep or discard.
Keep items can be in the current room, different room, or store
Discard can be sell, donate, or trash
Schedule maintenance times - usually for common areas
Some things should be done daily, others weekly, some monthly and others biannually or just annually.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds great, you are already off to a great start. - Julie