Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Starting the plan


So this week I'll start for real.  Which isn't really fair since this is a review.  I pretty much already know these verses.  The plan is the first two days of the week to focus on 2 Cor 5:17, then the third and forth day to focus on Gal 2:20.  For rest of the week work on both.  

A few things to help memorize the verse is to say it aloud, pray about the verse, read other translations to help get the meaning of the verse.  Think about how the verse applies to self.  Always include the topic and reference when saying it.

Once you know the verse the book recommends you write it down from memory.  I actually prefer to write it down first just by copying it from the Bible.  

Christ the Center
2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away, behold, new things have come.
2 Corinthians 5:17

I actually did that wrong first.  My problem is a lot of these older verses were memorized as NIV and some as NASB.  Well, I think I'll stick with NASB for now on, so I have to relearn some verses.

Christ the Center
Galations 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I who live but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh, I live by faith by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
Galations 2:20

I know I said this yesterday, but then I decided to follow the actual book, so we can look at context tomorrow.  When I say context I basically mean a quick look at the book itself and the chapter specifically.  It is important to know who wrote it, and who it was written to, and try to understand what was going on at the time.  Reading the chapter helps to understand what was being talked about at the time when the specific verse was used.

* picture taken from navigators.com

No comments: