Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Daily

Well, I've been trying to write something on this blog five times a week, and I'm starting to wonder if I should simply focus on one aspect instead of making it simply about life. For now I'll probably continue to keep it general. This allows me to jump around in my thinking which I do so well.

I like the topic though. I can focus on a certain item at a time. For example I've been working on scripture memory. So now I need to discuss reviewing memory verses. In the past I have always done it on my own, but the navigator's book recommends having a partner to test with. This would be really useful especially in getting it word perfect as suggested. I think this would also have the benefit of keeping Julie involved without being so directly on her.

I know it is Wednesday and time for the new verses, but I don't think I have established the proper pattern with Julie, and I can't leave her behind. She is still working on getting the verses word perfect, and I don't want this to add any stress to her life, so I'll take it easy and try to establish more of a routine in memorizing, then hopefully we can really go for it.

A few things the book suggests and I think I have posted on, but are worth reviewing. On each scripture it isn't about just knowing the words. It is about knowing the word of God. The point of a sentence is to communicate meaning, and when memorizing scripture you better know what it means. So knowing the reference is important so you can look it up quickly and demonstrate that you are not using it out of context.

You should know the context of the verse. Not just the surrounding verses, but also putting in perspective the culture, current events, political setting, and what audience it was meant for.

You should know the meaning of the verse. Reading other translations can help, but I find it a bit confusing on getting the verse word perfect.

Study the verse. Why is it in the bible? Why is this author using it? Who is the author writing to? Why did he say what he said this way? Is there cultural relevance?

Discuss the verse. This really needs to be in prayer to God. It is His word you are trying to learn, so discuss it with Him. But also talk about it with others, especially if the meaning isn't really clear.This discussion can help encourage others to grow spiritually, and could help equip the saints (Eph 4:11-12).

I'm thinking I need to be making these posts in the evening and not the morning. But at the same time I have time to relax and think in the morning. It just seems that I don't have as much time as I need to get everything done. This would be even more true if I was still biking in the mornings.

No comments: