Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Not Mine

So tonight I heard something interesting. The concept is that we become too attached to things that we wrongfully consider ours. For example, if a child has a plate we call it "their" plate, or they call it "my" plate. But it is really their parents plate.

The point is that this world is not our home. As Christians we have a future/eternal home. We take possession of things that are really just on loan from God and belong to Him. We say my house or my car, but really we should probably just be saying the house and the car. These things are God's. Yes, we are responsible for them, they are on loan to us so we are to take care of them, but we are to seek God's interests, and not our own. We should not live to pay the mortgage. Matthew 6:33, "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Makes me wonder how much stuff I have that I shouldn't. Do I spend too much time maintaining things of no eternal worth? I think so, but other things such as a vehicle are useful to transport me, and the house to live in is needed too. Not sure about this computer, but it serves as a good means of communication.

Just something I wanted to share. Hope you guys like reading my posts. I would like to post more often, but struggle with finding the time. Maybe blogging isn't even a good use of my time, maybe I should do it less, but I think it helps sort out some of my thoughts. I enjoy thinking out loud.

1 comment:

Ben said...

I enjoy reading your blogs and thoughts.

I also agree that we shouldn't live to maintain 'things' because of focus should be on eternal things, but the Lord desires that we take care of what He gives us and to be good stewards of His blessings. In fact, I think He takes great joy when we have a clean, orderly home or garden, we shouldn't obsess with things of no eternal value, but we should take good care of what He gives us.