Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A Worthy Sacrifice

This morning I read the first chapter of Malachi. It was really eye opening. The actual animal sacrifices no longer apply to use today, but the principle is very relevant. The passage speaks of the people of Israel not honoring God with the sacrifices by offering blind, lame, or sick animals. God has asked for an unblemished sacrifice and this is what His people bring Him. It isn't the act of sacrificing that is the point, God said he rejects their sacrifice. The sacrifice needs to be a proper sacrifice, not just a poor effort.

But wait, I'm supposed to be a sacrifice. I'm supposed to be a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to the Lord. How many times have I grumbled but still did something thinking I was doing what is right by sacrificing my time or something. Well, I'm pretty sure in light of this scripture from Malachi that God won't accept that. It needs to be honoring Him. Is a sacrifice with grumbling showing any respect to God? I don't think so.

No comments: