Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tis the Season

Well, it does seem to be a season where things become very busy. This morning I had my quiet time and saw that it had been over a week since I had it. I also thought about how I haven't been doing well with my scripture intake. Anyone else having trouble keeping their priorities straight?

So now I'm going to try and get back to spending time with God and His word. Things have been busy with Christmas parties and also a few times of me being sick which wasn't pleasant.

Hope everyone is having a good time this Christmas season. For some deeper thought, why do we celebrate Christmas or birthdays in general? I haven't researched it much, but it isn't from the Bible that I've seen. Going through the gospels this month looking at the Christmas stories. Read Mark 1 this morning and that is what made me wonder about celebrating Christmas.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I have completely forgotten about quiet times. I haven't done one for probably a week as well.

I heard on the radio a listener calling in and saying that she had a discussion with her family about why we get presents on Christmas. She was saying how it doesn't make sense, because when you celebrate someone's birthday, you bring them presents. And then she stated James 1:27: Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

So she and her family take presents to orphans on Christmas. I thought that was great, because as I've become an adult, I've realized that gift-giving is so ridiculuous, especially because people get presents and aren't happy about them. I've been guilty of that myself, when we get presents that appear to be out of someone's attic. But, being ungrateful is horribly selfish and I don't even like making Christmas lists, because getting a gift from someone should be about them wanting to get you something they think you'd enjoy. Instead, we make it more like an order form. So that's my take on Christmas.